Position Title: Carbon Program Manager
Company Name: The Forestland Group LLC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (preferred)
Required Travel: Significant domestic and international travel is expected.
The Role: The Carbon Program Manager will be part of a team managing forest carbon projects on properties within TFG’s forestland portfolios, including evaluating the financial, legal, and ecological impacts of existing projects. Additionally, the position will assist in the development and management of new forest carbon projects on existing and future assets in TFG’s investment portfolios. The successful candidate will work with TFG’s sustainability, valuation, forest management, and transaction teams as well as working with external carbon project developers.
- Business Development
- Identify and assist in the development of new forest carbon projects on TFG assets
- Develop, manage, and optimize forest carbon projects for financial, sustainability, and forest operations goals
- Engage with transactions team on forest carbon analysis and valuation
- Maintain the integrity of TFG’s forest carbon program
- Frame and articulate the climate benefits of natural forests, TFG’s carbon track record, and future carbon products to investors and other external audiences
- Contribute to fundraising strategy and engage with target investors
- Relationship building with domestic and international carbon market participants
- Project Management and Development
- Coordination of project development, reporting, and verification
- Contribute to the development and shaping of voluntary and compliance market methodologies and protocols for natural forests
- Routinely provide carbon data and reports for portfolio management and impact reporting
- Manage CITSS, carbon exchanges, and other registry accounts
- Collaborate with forest operations to optimize revenues from annual harvest budget and carbon sales.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in forestry or closely related natural resources field
- Experience in forest carbon project development
- Experience with field data collection methodology and procedures
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to travel and work in remote areas and in challenging field conditions
- Working knowledge of current climate science and GHG offset markets
- Demonstrated experience with CARB regulatory framework and Forestry Protocol
- Experience with the American Carbon Registry, Verra, and other voluntary carbon project frameworks
- Familiarity and experience with FVS, FIA, and carbon modeling
- Experience with GIS software
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently and as part of a team
- Graduate degree in forestry or climate science or closely related field
- Designing and funding a forest-carbon focused program, project, strategy
- International forest carbon offset protocols and markets
- Timberland investment and management
- Designing, implementing, and analyzing forest inventories
To apply, please send one document with your name in the file name, that includes your cover letter and your resume to Leslie Lee at email@example.com. References will be required from finalists. Applications will be accepted through January 31, 2022 or until position is filled. All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
TFG is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salary and benefit packages commensurate with applicant skills and experience.