Forestland Analyst Position
The Forestland Group LLC (“TFG”), formed in 1995, is an independent timberland investment management organization (“TIMO”) which specializes in naturally regenerating broadleaf forest systems. TFG currently manages approximately 2.6 million acres in 23 U.S. states as well as in Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, and Panama. TFG has conserved nearly one million acres of forestland through easements and sales to private conservation organizations and public agencies.
Position Title: Forestland Analyst
Company Name: The Forestland Group LLC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Required Travel: Expected travel is approximately 20% (in a post-COVID environment)
The Role: The Forestland Analyst will play a key role in the management and strategy development of TFG’s forestland investment portfolios. The successful candidate will also provide timberland valuation assistance to support timberland acquisition and disposition efforts. The Forestland Analyst will provide timely reporting to internal and external stakeholders and will be expected to accurately communicate forestry and business metrics to all levels of the company. Additionally, the Analyst will be responsible for the development and management of novel tools and techniques related to forest data management and business reporting. The Analyst will work with TFG’s Director of Transactions.
• Portfolio Management
o Timberland Appraisal Management
• Manage the timberland appraisal programs to ensure timely and accurate reporting. This includes developing an understanding of timber values and operational potential, wood baskets, logger capacities, recreation potential, conservation status, and carbon project details across all properties.
o Forest Product Market Analysis and Reporting
• Perform regular stumpage, lumber, and carbon offset market analysis for use in timberland valuation, appraisal data support, and portfolio management. Actively participate in quarterly market reporting.
• Transactions Support
o Conduct timberland valuation analysis to support timberland transactions.
o Assist with transactions during all stages including pipeline development, due diligence, acquisition handoff, and deal reporting.
o Assist in the analysis and management of forest carbon projects.
• Forest Planning and Portfolio Strategy Development
o Perform forest growth and yield analysis, forest- and portfolio-level optimization modeling, and participate in strategy development.
o Coordinate with Forest Operations and Transactions teams to implement portfolio strategy.
• Business Analytics
o Develop and manage dashboards to communicate portfolio performance to internal and external stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s degree in forestry or closely related natural resources field.
• 3-5 years of experience in forestry.
• Experience with forest inventory methodology and procedures and with forest operations.
• Knowledge of forest management principals and silvicultural systems.
• Ability and interest in traveling to and working in remote areas with potentially challenging field conditions in inclement weather.
• Excellent research and analytical skills.
• Experience with GIS software, applications, and analysis.
• Experience with analysis of forest growth and yield (e.g. FVS).
• Experience with optimization modeling principles and software (e.g. Remsoft Woodstock).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently or with a team and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Master’s degree in forestry, business, statistics.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience working in, hardwood forests.
• Experience with computer programming, statistical analysis, and/or scripting languages such as Python, R, SQL, VisualBasic, etc.
• Experience in timberland valuation and appraisal analysis.
• Experience with forest certification standards, including FSC & SFI.
• Knowledge of forest carbon offsets and associated project protocols.
To apply, please send one document that includes your cover letter and your resume to Leslie Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org. References will be required from finalists. Applications will be accepted through September 25, 2020 or until position is filled. All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality. TFG is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salary and benefit packages commensurate with applicant skills and experience.