- TFG defines Ecological Services as the market benefits arising from the ecological functions of healthy ecosystems. In a forest ecosystem, the services with explicit capital value are forest-carbon sequestration (climate benefits), biodiversity, and streamside and wetland mitigation.
- Forests continue to play a critical role in regulating the Earth’s climate and forestry has come into focus as a significant player in climate change mitigation programs.
- TFG is forward thinking about climate change and additional sources of revenue. We were the first TIMO to register an improved forest management carbon project under the Climate Action Reserve protocol. Read More
- Similarly, TFG pioneered the largest improved forest management (IFM) carbon sequestration project under California’s regulatory cap and trade regime in 2013. Read More
- TFG has undertaken three domestic projects (Champion NY, Bishop MI, and Connecticut Lakes NH) that have been issued Air Resource Board Offset Credits (ARBOCs) and have sold the offsets to international companies.
- TFG thinks beyond regulatory markets. Internationally, TFG is developing an avoided conversion carbon project sequestration project on our tropical forestlands in Belize in accordance with the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Community Climate and Biodiversity (CCB), and the UN Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) programs. The project provides climate benefits while protecting biodiversity and ensuring that sensitive tropical forestland will not be converted to agriculture.
- TFG is continuing to develop markets, engage partners, and evaluate prospective conservation easements, carbon, mitigation and other ecosystem services projects.
- TFG expects to see accelerating growth in forest-carbon climate impact and steady growth for market solutions where there is a mutual alignment of conservation goals and working forests.